COVID AND THE REOPENING
- Firms around the world are requiring employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to return to the office and in-person meetings with clients.
- Includes banks, law firms, accountants, private companies, Telus, Rogers Communication and Bell Canada among others
- More than 50% of US companies are imposing vaccine mandates and 25% are considering vaccination a condition for employment
- Ontario modelling shows that the COVID-19 vaccination rate must be above 85% to avoid a fall lockdown. Currently 83% of those over 12 have had one vaccine and 76% are fully vaccinated.
- BC, Ontario, Quebec and Manitoba are introducing vaccine passports.
- Alberta has the most new infections in Canada, with more than 7,000 reported in 1 week and the highest vaccine hesitancy at 16%.
- US added Canada to ‘reconsider travel’ advisory list because of COVID-19.
- Saudi Arabia has the world’s toughest vaccine rules…refusal to vaccinate can block shoppers from grocery stores, travelling abroad, or kids over 12 attending school.
- US added 235,000 jobs in August (smallest in the past 7 months) vs 733,000 expected.
- Unemployment rate fell to 5.2% vs 5.4%.
- 5,700,000 Americans are not looking for a job even though they want to work (these individuals are not included in the unemployment rate) vs 5,000,000 February 2020.
- 5,600,000 Americans are unable to work because their employer closed or lost business because of the pandemic.
- Participation rate is 61.7% (the same as June 2020).
- Average hourly earnings rose $0.17 to $30.73
- 50% of US small business owners reported unfilled job openings in August due to the lack of ‘qualified’ candidates.
DEMENTIA’S IMPACT (WHO REPORT)
- More than 55 million people worldwide are living with dementia. (Global population 7.9 billion)
- Estimated cost to the world is $1.3 trillion per year
- Number afflicted is expected to rise to 78 million by 2030 and 139 million by 2050 (60% in low and middle income countries)
- 10% of cases affect people under age 65
- 25% of countries have a national policy to support patients and their families
- More than 90% of Americans now have health insurance coverage.
- More than 1 billion Asians will join the global middle class (earning at least $36,500/yr) by 2030. (Source: World Data Lab)
- India and China will add 750,000,000
- Semiconductor Manufacturing International Corp is spending $8.87 billion to build a new chip plant in the outskirts of Shanghai.
- Toshiba has warned that power-chip supply will stay tight for another year
- GM, Ford, and Stellantis are all idling vehicle plants due to the global chip shortage
- China is limiting minors to 3 hours of online gaming per week.