FUTURE OF CRYPTOCURRENCY
- Federal Reserve, Bank of Japan, Bank of England, Bank of Canada, European Central Bank, China and others are reiterating that they believe cryptocurrencies are:
- Vehicles for speculation and volatility is extraordinarily high
- Should not be considered a real investment
- Barely used for purchasing goods or services
- Has no intrinsic value
- Require high amounts of energy to mine
- ‘Stable coins’, currently being explored by various countries, are different:
- have assets to back up their value
- meet legal standards and healthy governance codes so could become a form of payment in the future
COMBATTING COVID VACCINATION HESITANCY
- Hong Kong developers are offering a $1.4 million apartment as a prize for residents who have been vaccinated.
- California’s “Vax for the Win” campaign is giving away $116.5 million in prizes…30 winners will get $50,000 each for 1st vaccine and then 10 winners will get $1.5 million each for 2nd
- Greece will use a “COVID-19” pass to allow fully vaccinated tourists starting this summer.
- Daimler has committed to convert its heavy trucks to zero-emission vehicle within 15 years.
- Microsoft has teamed up with Accenture, Goldman, and climate groups to develop and share ways to build software that produces fewer carbon emissions, especially in data centers.
- International bodies are calling for climate change studies to become part of the worldwide school curriculum.
- Royal Dutch Shell has been ordered by a Dutch court to slash its emissions 45% by 2030 vs the 20% Shell had proposed.
- Vortex Bladeless has invented a bladeless wind turbine that oscillates to collect wind energy and transforms it into electricity at 30% of the cost of conventional wind energy.
- Microsoft says the Russian hackers behind the ‘SolarWinds campaign’ have increased their attacks on US federal agencies, think tanks and non-governmental organizations.
- Japan’s MTG co., has started selling the “Evering”, a microchip embedded ring that could act as a digital wallet.
- Struck a deal with Visa for an initial batch of 3,000 rings in Japan
- Tesla is phasing out radar sensors and is shifting to camera-based autopilot.