- Manitoba is the first province to procure its own COVID-19 vaccine. They are buying 2 million doses of the new mRNA vaccine developed by Calgary’s Providence Therapeutics and hope to have emergency use approval by fall 2021.
- Province of Ontario postponed March break to mid-April to keep students safe and limit community spread.
- Alberta’s frontline workers (earning less than $25 per hour in private sector) will receive a one-time $1,200 payment from the government (25% from the provincial government and 75% from the federal government).
- Starting February 15th, anyone arriving in Canada via land border will need to have a negative PCR COVID-19 test, administered in the past 72 hours…the same as air travel.
- Canada Revenue Agency will not charge interest on overdue taxes from benefit programs for at least 1 year.
- US Center for Disease Control (CDC) said that recently vaccinated people need not quarantine after exposure to the virus.
- Dubai has opened a ‘robocafe’ where robots take, prepare and deliver your order to your table.
- Immigration to Canada dropped to the lowest level since 1998, down 46% to 184,370 new permanent residents in 2020 vs 2019.
- Led to weaker demand for apartments and condo rentals in Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal
- Canadian Savings (Nanos Research Group for Bloomberg)
- Canadians have accumulated $150 billion in extra savings during the pandemic
- 70% of Canadians say they expect to maintain or increase their current savings levels
- 27% anticipate having less in savings
- 75% say their top financial priority is paying down debt or retaining elevated savings (separate Nanos Poll)
- Florida water treatment plant was hacked and the level of lye (a dangerous chemical) was increased 100x; the hack was caught immediately and rectified.
- EU needs to build 1,000,000 public EV charging stations by 2024 and 3,000,000 by 2029 to give consumers the confidence to switch to the new technology.
- Tesla’s expansion boosted employment 47% in 2020 to 70,757 employees globally.
- Mastercard and BNY Mellon Bank are going to offer support for some cryptocurrencies on their networks this year.
- Israeli farm cultivated a ‘lab-grown ribeye steak’ using a 3D printer.