- September CPI was down 0.4% M/M (1.9% Y/Y), slightly below expectations.
- Above the national average: Quebec (2.2%), Manitoba 2.2%, BC (2.4%)
- Below the national average: Alberta (1.3%) with Edmonton 1.4% and Calgary 1.1%
- Teranet– National Bank National Home Price Index increased 0.1% in September; 5th consecutive gain
- 6 markets were up including Toronto (0.1%); Calgary (0.2%); Winnipeg (0.6%;) Ottawa (0.8%)
- Prices were stable in Edmonton and Halifax
- Declined in Victoria (0.3%); Vancouver (0.5%); Quebec City (0.7%)
- Head offices in Canada: Ontario has 43.4% (347) and 38.6% of national population while Alberta has 18.3% (146; Calgary 118 and Edmonton 23) and 11.6% of national population.
- Approximately 4.7 million ballots were cast in advance polls vs 3.657 million in 2015.
FIRST ANNIVERSARY OF LEGAL CANNABIS IN CANADA – OCTOBER 17TH
- Vibrant black market persists…Statistics Canada says 40% of Canadians bought at least some of their cannabis from illegal sources between April and June 2019.
- Seaport Global believes Canada needs about 1,055 stores to service users. Currently there are about 527 stores nationally with 300 in Alberta.
- As of October 18, 2019, edibles, beverages, extracts and vape pens are legal with sales expected to begin mid-December.
- Maximum of 10 mg of THC (psychoactive component) permitted per package
- BioSteel Sports Nutrition is going to offer a CBD (the non-pyschoactive ingredient) infused hydration drink.
- Molson Coors is teaming up with Hexo Corp to include both CBD and THC infused products.
- Food prices in China increased 11.2% in September vs 10% in August, led by a 46.7% surge in pork prices.
- September Chinese car sales declined for the 15th consecutive month.
- Q3 GDP rose 6% Y/Y, the slowest pace since 1990.
- Mexican Senate is set to pass a bill legalizing marijuana in the next few days.
- Canada’s Western Forestry Contractors Association expects to plant 318 million seedlings in 2020 vs 270 million in 2019.
- Berkeley and San Diego have banned natural gas from building construction. Now more than 50 other cities and counties are considering following suit.
- Long Island is building a 316-megawatt lithium-ion battery system powerful enough to provide electricity to 250,000 households for 8 hours.
- Volvo is targeting a 40% reduction in carbon footprint for each car it manufactures by 2024 and plans to be fully carbon neutral by 2040.
- Tesla has been given approval to start manufacturing in China.
- Tesla is starting to install “Powerwall” home battery systems in Japan.
- Walmart has introduced a program to subsidize 3rd party sellers of goods on their website who temporarily discount prices to consumers.
- US carried out a secret cyber strike on Iran after the September 14th attack on Saudi Arabia.
- UK and EU have agreed on outline for Brexit deal – needs to be ratified by UK parliament.