- Alberta signed $3.7 billion of contracts with CP and CN to lease 4,400 rail cars to ship 120,000 boe/d of crude with the first shipments expected in July 2019.
- Sales of the Crude are expected to generate revenue of $5.9 billion
- CN says this contract is aligned with their record $3.9 billion capital investment enabling growth from all commodity segments safely and efficiently
- UCP party said if they are elected they would review these contracts
- NEB is recommending that the TransMountain Pipeline be approved
- 156 new conditions for the Federal Government, if the pipeline is approved
- Includes 16 recommendations relating to marine shipping
- Benefits outweigh the adverse impacts
- Federal Government will be unveiling the pre-election budget on March 19th.
- Signaled that it will include new prescription drug coverage and measures aimed at younger homebuyers.
- BC budget included plans to borrow $7.5 billion in the coming fiscal year and forecasting economic growth of 2.4%.
- Government welcomed the declining home prices in Vancouver (single family down 8.3%; condos 6.6%)
- Continuing with record $20.1 billion plan for health, transportation and education over the next 3 years.
- Canadian HELOC’s (Home Equity Line of Credit) reached a record $243 billion as of Oct 31/18 (11.3% of total household credit).
- Moscow will match any US move to deploy new nuclear missiles closer to Russia by stationing its own missiles closer to the US.
- Putin said he is ready for another Cuban Missile-style crisis if the US wants one.
- European Commission President Jean-Claude Junker says the EU will not stand in the way of a delay in Brexit. Britain is due to leave the EU on March 29th.
- North Korea is facing a food shortfall of 1.4 million tons and has cut rations in half because of high temperatures, drought and floods.
- Humanitarian aid for Venezuela is stuck in Columbia as Maduro will not allow it in to Venezuela.
- Federal Reserve minutes reiterated that they are data dependent. The next move will be determined once data is clearer.
- Alimentation Couche Tarde (Circle K and Mac’s stores) are teaming up with Canopy growth to sell recreational cannabis in Ontario.
- Samsung introduced the world’s first folding smart phone at US$1,980.
- China wants to build the first solar power station in space by 2030.
- Saudi Arabia is building a $10 billion refining and petrochemical complex in China.
- Venture Global LNG has received US Federal Energy Regulatory approval to build a $5 billion LNG export terminal in Louisiana.