10 Second Headlines of the Week 18-Dec-2009
How our ‘10 Seconds’ fits in with our “9 Steps to Economic Recovery”
Step 7 – “The Sugar High”
- Federal Reserve pledged December 16th to hold rates at “exceptionally low levels”
Step 8 – “Hand off to the US Consumer”
- Obama’s message to senior bank officials: “We helped you, now you help us”
- The big get bigger – Exxon purchases XTO (natural gas provider) for $31 billion, buying not only resources but technology and the fuel source of choice of future “green” power plants.
Step 9 – “In the Red Zone” Governments force turnover
- All levels of government look for income – Ontario is considering selling all or part of their crown corporations –> $24 billion?
- Softer Real Estate prices and lower rents
- In Alberta rental vacancy rates are up to 5.5% in October vs. 2.5% last October.
- Wall Street Journal – “Are we destined to become a nation of renters?”
- Research In Motion and Oracle, beat the street.
- Increased cash position to 7%
- Reduced government debt holdings.
- PIMCO’s hedge fund manager hired by China’s currency regulator as Chief Investment Officer.
For a review to ensure that your portfolio is positioned appropriately for Step 9, please Click Here