SOLD OUT! The Glass Cliff…Women, Leadership, Life and Flow – Edmonton, September 27th
- Trended #1 in Canada and #3 overall on Twitter Wednesday evening. (Trending identifies topics that are popular now)
- You can view the twitter feed at: @WOVEdmonton#TheGlassCliffYEG
- Photos are on Facebook, @WomanofVisionCanada
- 1,650 attended and were inspired by Kirstine Stewart, Honourable Kim Campbell, Dr. Shawna Pandya, Eveline Charles and Lesley MacDonald.
- Conclusion: “We need to keep the conservation open!”
Global Business Forum 2017 Part II– Banff, September 21 and 22
Alastair Crooke, Founder and Director, The Conflict Forum (Beirut, Lebanon)
“What is the challenge to change taking place today?”
- We have had a period of time of easy decisions…”Winter is coming”.
- US debt is growing at the speed of light; technology is disrupting; our political world is polarizing at opposite ends of the spectrum.
- Is there anything worth fighting for today? Is there anything worth dying for?
- If we can’t find common ground we will have a problem.
- Putin believes that Russia has lived under the political elite of western civilization for the past 300 years.
- Russia, China and Iran plan to be the ‘lion’ when the US implodes politically and economically. Crooke believes that they will need to protect themselves in this period of US instability as they will not be immune from the disruption.
Ambassador Christopher Hill, Dean of Josef Korbel School of International Studies, University of Denver
- They have been busy building a nuclear armament for several decades.
- It is a very small, poor country with no friends and a ‘brother’ south of them who is now the 10th strongest economy in the world.
- These are people that only a mother could love.
- In 1950, they captured most of South Korea in days, then the US and allies stepped in and defeated the North.
- They believe that they need to get the Americans out of South Korea.
- North Korea believes that the citizens in South Korea support them.
- China is ordering their banks to co-operate despite President Trump, not for him.
- Outsourcing the problem to China will not work, the US will need to participate.
- The Russians have a great awareness but are lacking interest as they like to make it difficult for the US.
- We need to keep the doors open but North Korea is not ready to negotiate.
- July average weekly earnings dropped 1% M/M to $1,125. Decline was led by administrative and support, waste management and remediation services.
- 3 challenges for a new economic reality: broadening the economic base, restoring and maintaining fiscal equilibrium and adapting to climate change. None of these are easy to fix. (Conference Board of Canada)
- Spring Rock Production (Houston Oil and Gas production forecaster) expects to see record Y/Y natural gas growth, a startling 5.2 bcf/d of growth in the US added to the recent record 74.4 bcf/d.
- Alberta day gas is expected to average around $1 in September, the worst month in over 15 years.